Welcome to the fringe

Feel free to peruse my musings and commentary, and feel free to leave a comment if you like, dislike, or are just amused by something.
I try to cover a little bit of everything, but right now Politics holds my fancy.. Especially since the Rockies are playing so lousy at the moment.

The Google advertisement links below may advocate political positions that this author does not endorse.
But it is the price we pay for the possibility of making a little coin now and again. (like that has been happening).

Sunday, May 25, 2008

Time to become a novelist?

I’ve been mulling the idea of becoming a novelist. After all I’m retired, and hate gardening, and the political campaigns will only be able to keep me interested until November. I’ve always been a voracious reader, and I liked to write short stories as a teenager, and well into my twenties. I’ve always been a J.R.R. Tolkien fan and there have been some miserable attempts to put out novels that attempted the same broad narrative approach to myth-fantasy.

Since this blog is more an exercise in spouting my intermittent thoughts into the internet void, putting down my love of fantasy and myth into a novel form has always intrigued me. Besides I’ll never make any money with this blog since there are way too many political oriented blogs out there, and no one really clicks on those somewhat annoying Google ads. :)

While I would never convince anyone that I was the next Tolkien, I do feel like I have a well rounded imagination that lends itself to the broad scope myth-fantasy creation that Tolkien made so engrossing. And as I said I don’t really have anything else to keep me busy, I might as well jump into the water, so to speak, and see if I can swim. After all if J.K. Rowlings can start out as an unknown author with a unique idea, and a willingness to stick to the proposition, I think I can.

We will see what happens.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I, too, have considered trying to write in the fantasy field myself. I do enjoy writing, even though I'm not very adept at it. I'm also a fan of Tolkein's, and as of late, I have become a huge fan of George R.R. Martin. If you haven't read any of his stuff, I strongly recommend it. Anywho, there is an author out there named David Eddings, and he once wrote in a prologue that if you'd like to try your hand at writing your fantasy epic, the first thing you do is write a few hundred pages, and burn them and start all over.:) I don't know if I'll ever set pen to paper, but I do enjoy trying to work out possible plots and scenarios...a good day to you, sir!