Welcome to the fringe

Feel free to peruse my musings and commentary, and feel free to leave a comment if you like, dislike, or are just amused by something.
I try to cover a little bit of everything, but right now Politics holds my fancy.. Especially since the Rockies are playing so lousy at the moment.

The Google advertisement links below may advocate political positions that this author does not endorse.
But it is the price we pay for the possibility of making a little coin now and again. (like that has been happening).

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Random musings number 2

I've been focusing on the Political front a bit heavily lately, after all some of the stuff that goes on in this campaign you just can't make up. But, I've decided to make a regular ritual to get back to some of my more random, and non political musings, so here we go.

When the virtual merges with reality:
I was a bit taken aback when I came across a CNN feed for news from Second Life, the virtual world of alternate personal avatars. Apparently you can get the news that is news worthy on the goings on in your virtual life at SL I-Reports on CNN.com. What surprised me is the articles on the "Banking" crisis. Just what I need in a virtual world, more "real" money problems. The only thing I didn't see in the news articles to make it truly news worthy was some article on the virtual Britiny Spears.

CES and what I really want for xmas:
There have been a lot of new gizmo's reported on out of CES across the news and the blogs, but the one thing that struck me as a must have for my entertainment fantasy room was the 150" HDTV, now I just have to convince the wife that we need to knock down the living room wall to get it into the house.

Let's play it one more time:
Apparently a scoring error in the Dec 19th Atlanta Hawks vs Miami Heat game, where Shaquile O'Neal was erroneously tagged as fouling out, has caused the NBA to call for a redo of the last 51.9 seconds. So the Atlanta fans kind of get a twofer on March 8th when the two teams play again in Atlanta. Though I'm thinking there are probably a lot better 51.9 second periods of NBA basketball I would rather see.

Missing it by "" that much:
Apparently the large asteroid that was originally touted to have a 1 in 25 chance of hitting Mars, has now been calculated to miss the red planet by anywhere between 2480 and 16000 miles. Darn is all I can say. While the whole astrophysics population was busily preparing their "doomsday" articles to tell us how much danger we are in (remember the hoopla after Shoemaker-Levy-9 struck Jupiter), we seem to have gone into a "oh well" mode since it is just going to be a near miss. I guess we have to wait for one to strike the moon full force before we really start to get our act together on something that has global implications.

Blogging and money making:
Trying to explain to the wife why I'm blogging when I've only made a grand total of $0.38 since starting is losing it's luster. Apparently, she thinks getting a "real" job would be more practical.

Someone woke Fred Thompson up:
Ok I can't bypass a little political assessment. Apparently someone woke Fred Thompson up and told him there was a Republican nomination race going on. After lounging pretty much on the sidelines during the Iowa and NH caucus and primaries, Fred actually started questioning the other candidates positions during the debates in South Carolina. As for the effect of this sudden awakening, I'm thinking he should probably just go back to snoozing.

Obviously new film material is hard to come by:
It is bad enough that we are subjected to trilogies, third time remakes of 1940's movies, and re-hashes of old Charlton Heston movies, but have we sunk so low in the movie business that the best we can come up with is just bringing back old Stallone "Rambo" movies in re-release? I mean what is next? Re-releases of Halloween 1-34? And the movie moguls can't understand why their product attendance has been dropping over the years.

Ok that is it for this week. Hopefully, you enjoyed my little travels around the fringe.

No comments: