Welcome to the fringe

Feel free to peruse my musings and commentary, and feel free to leave a comment if you like, dislike, or are just amused by something.
I try to cover a little bit of everything, but right now Politics holds my fancy.. Especially since the Rockies are playing so lousy at the moment.

The Google advertisement links below may advocate political positions that this author does not endorse.
But it is the price we pay for the possibility of making a little coin now and again. (like that has been happening).

Friday, April 18, 2008

Clinton voted to allow gun confiscation during disasters?

With all the hoopla about Obama’s “bitter” remarks and the discussion around gun-control, an interesting sidelight that hasn’t been touched on is a little known amendment voted on in July 2006. The amendment S.Amdt.4615 to H.R.5441 was “To prohibit the confiscation of a firearm during an emergency or major disaster if the possession of such firearm is not prohibited under Federal or State law”. The vote count was 84 YEAs and only 16 NAYs.

What surprised me was you would think that based on the perception of Obama being a “radical” gun control freak after the uproar following those PA statements, that he should have been one of the NAYs, while Annie Oakley Clinton being taught by her Grandfather to shoot out behind the barn would have been one of the YEAs.

But oh contraire.

Clinton actually voted against prohibiting the confiscation, while Obama voted for the prohibition. Now this might seem like an issue of little importance… but try and tell that to the good folks of New Orleans who by decree of the Mayor had all those “legal” firearms in N.O. confiscated after the disaster of Katrina, and have yet to be completely returned to their rightful owners.

Not surprisingly John McCain was also one of the 84 YEAs that put a halt to a really ridiculous idea.

Now if I was an anti gun control Democrat, I might be thinking “Who’s really on my side if during a major disaster I most likely might actually need this here shot gun?"

2 comments:

toosassy said...

This is a serious issue that I haven't heard about until I allowed Glenn Beck to try to shake me up a bit last night. I wonder why this was sort of . . buried? This is a big deal to imagine having government knocking (?) at my door and demanding my gun just in case I might want to use it for looting rather than stopping a looter!

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!